Through the Back Loop

Adventures in knitting, fiber arts, and family.

Sunday, January 16, 2005

BRRRRR!

Ok! I know that this massive Arctic blast has hit Wisconsin. I know that means cold weather is here. Bitter. Wind chills of -35. I get it. I have lived here all of my life. I'm accustomed to walking outside in winter and having the inside of my nose freeze in a millisecond.

But, last night I started waking up at 3:00am. Freezing. Cold. Our room is always colder when the door is shut at night, and with my daughter having a friend to stay, it was shut. I snuggled up some more and went back to sleep. 4:30am I wake up again. Still cold. DH also woke up to go to the bathroom. I asked him to turn up the heat.

Every 30 minutes I woke up and touched my nose to make sure it hadn't frozen and fallen off. Finally, at 7:30 I got up. This is nuts! I went to turn up the furnace, but I saw that it already had been turned up to what should feel like a sauna. Then I saw that the current temperature is... well... freezing! The pilot light must have gone out.

DH went down there, and after about 30 minutes of sounding like the father in A Christmas Story, swearing a long list of 4 letter words into an unrecognizable phrase, the furnace was coaxed into spewing out warm air again. It's still cold in here, but at least we know that it will get warmer. The coldest damn day of the year.. and our furnace went on vacation.

Thank god for pure wool!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home