Through the Back Loop

Adventures in knitting, fiber arts, and family.

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Wonderful Weekend!

I know it's Tuesday, and a "wonderful weekend" post should have been posted on Monday at the latest, but you know how quickly time can get away from you!

Wow! Saturday, my DH agreed to come shopping with me and our two daughters, KNOWING that we would be doing a marathon session. Eight hours later we got back home, and he was still smiling! Nope, you can't have him, HE IS MINE!

First we went to JCPenney and the girls got some clothes. Then we went to Jane's Knitting Hutch in Appleton (I almost went to Yarns By Design, but decided not to because I am so close to getting my $20 worth of free stuff at Jane's ..... see?)



I really like Jane's shop. She is so friendly and helpful, and once I joined in on open knitting night and everyone was super friendly. It's too bad that it's such a drive for me to get there (45 minutes one way). But then I found out that Jane lives 40 minutes away, too! Crazy!

I went for sock yarn for the new ARRRGGGGHHHHHyle socks. Remember that the directions said "no dark colors", so I was looking for light colors and I found this

Aren't the colors yummy?

The best part of shopping at Jane's are her bags. She has the CUTEST bags for your supplies when you buy them. See?


Sunday was also a great day. When I was a teenager I loved to fly kites. I would go (even when I was 18 or 19.. I know... what a FREAK!) on a Saturday and set up three kites that would fly themselves and then work my stunt kite. I would pack a chair, my radio, and some snacks and spend the day outside. I loved it. After kids, though, my life ended (as most mothers' lives do) and about two weeks ago, Alicia asked to fly kites. I hauled out my old kites and most of them were still looking pretty good. We flew them all afternoon, and that night I found out that there is actually a Wisconsin Kiters Kite Club! Who knew? When I went to the events site, I found out that there was a fly-in near my home on Oct. 10th. The girls were excited. DH came, too.

It was great! The people were so friendly and helpful. We got to see some really neat things, but the wind didn't cooperate. There was no wind, and people fought and fought to get anything in the air. At one point a strong breeze came in and we all rushed to get our kites up. There were about 10 of them in the air, but the breeze only lasted a few minutes. We were so excited, though. DH thought it was AWESOME! Next Saturday we are off to Oshkosh where they will have another fly-in, hopefully there will be better weather. Another new hobby.

Last night I got started on the AAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHyle sock. I wound all ten of the bobbins and did my swatch. I used size 2 needles and the gauge I was shooting for was 7 stitches to an inch and 8 rows to an inch. I got the 7 stitches to an inch, but I have 9 or 10 rows to an inch. I don't think I need to worry about that.. it will maybe make the sock a little longer, but won't affect the circumference. I'm not sure, though, for TKGA if I should worry about this more or not.

Well.. off to the BBall scrimmage. DH is coach for a boy's team from the school I teach in. First scrimmage tonight - they don't keep score - it's a chance for all of the kids to be able to play. He has 24 kids on the team. YIKES!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home