Through the Back Loop

Adventures in knitting, fiber arts, and family.

Saturday, October 02, 2004

Left without rescue

I hoped that by threatening to rip out the shawl I had spent so many hours creating, and by showing a picture of the intended victim, someone would come to my rescue. The phone didn't ring, there was no hostage team of police setting up camp outside of my driveway, and here I sit, in a staredown with the shawl. Only one of us will survive, my knitting bag isn't big enough for "the both of us". But as I grab at the throat of the shawl, teasing it by pretending to pull out the needle and expose it's jugular vein of neatly lined up loops, I loose my nerve. Maybe I'm not strong enough, maybe I just want a handsome policeman to bring his friends to my house, I'm not sure. I just can't do it.

(Warning: some political content.... Bush supporters may not want to read this)
The debate started and I planned to rip, rip, rip. How appropriate, I thought, as Bush seemed to be coloring pictures while Kerry talked, and then Bush had a stunned expression when it was his turn, "Uh, uh, uh" was all he said while he took a drink from an empty glass. I almost felt sorry for him, but not enough to vote for him. My political comment: Which man do you want to represent our country to the world? Which man carried himself better and could hold a coherent conversation? Click here to see some of Bush's greatest quotes:



For example,
"Border relations between Canada and Mexico have never been better. "-- In a press conference with Canadian PM, and apparently forgetting about the country wedged between Canada and Mexico, Sept. 24, 2001

and have you noticed the resemblence?



Sorry Bush supporters, but I don't get how he got as many votes as he did the first time, and I'm shocked that he seems to have the lead at the moment. The funny part is, I consider myself to be more Repulbican than Democrat, but I haven't voted Republican in presidential elections ... ummm... EVER! I'm sorry for becoming political..... but I just don't understand his popularity. He is an extremely poor speaker, he has ruined international relations with countries we have had as allies for years and years, he went into Iraq with our family members for absolutely no proven reason AND without the support of the international community. Our economy is in terrible shape, and if people really look around, is anyone in a better position compared to four years ago? The day after the debate, Bush made many statements that I heard on the radio. The commentator made a point of telling the listeners that these statements were prepared for Bush to read. I didn't need to be told, it was pretty obvious because they were coherent. The comments he made were the rebuttals he should have made the night before, but he could not think on his own, and only came up with, "Uh... ummm. I work hard as President". Scary.
End of political comment

So, while I waited for the hunky hostage counseling police officer to arrive on my doorstep and save the shawl, I began practicing the pattern for Traveling Shells. Three cast-ons later I am finally getting it. Meanwhile, the shawl is still staring at me, but now it has a look of victory in its eye. I may be beaten here.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home