Through the Back Loop

Adventures in knitting, fiber arts, and family.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Final Olympic Moments

I can do this. Even through all of the challenges and difficulties that I have had to face. I CAN earn this gold medal. It will be mine.

Ok. I just need to regroup and organize. I have the first mitten knit up to the top decreases. I could have finished the thing, if I hadn’t left my knitting bag at work one night. But, I’m going to be positive. Make a plan. Yeah, that’s it.

Ok. So, with one mitten left and two days, this is possible. I have to finish the first mitten today and get the second one to the point where the hand is almost done again. Basically knit that one up to the hand decreases today, and then finish it tomorrow. Ok. The second mitten always goes more quickly because I have spent so much time planning and setting up the pattern. The second mitten becomes a nice and easy straight knit.

These mittens do look a wee bit small. I should probably have my daughter try them on. You know, I have to be honest. I didn’t think that I would still be sitting here with two days left, planning every minute to meet the deadline to earn the gold. I thought that my “challenge” was a bit lame. I mean come on! It would take one day to dye the wool, a few days for it to dry, and I can knit an adult mitten in two days… so two smaller mittens should take less time, right? The entire project should have been done in about 8 or 9 days, tops. Just over half of the time the Olympics are on. Why is it, then that I’m rushing to get this done? Well, the dying took three times longer because the colors wouldn’t get dark enough, and then creating the pattern whipped my butt! But, it’s ok. I’m going to make it.

Ok. Here’s my daughter. I’m going to have her try it on and see if the decreases are ok. YIPPEE! They are. What? What did you just say?

Oh, shit! She doesn’t WANT mittens. SHE WANTS URBAN GLOVES JUST LIKE THE ONES I MADE FOR MY HUSBAND. Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit.

I guess I can kiss that medal goodbye. Gotta go rip out this mitten, rewind the wool, and start all over again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home