Through the Back Loop

Adventures in knitting, fiber arts, and family.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Blizzard Christine

I'm just like a kid, getting up at 4:30 am to see if school was cancelled. There was no snow, really, only about 3 inches, which won't close schools here! I sat on the couch for a few hours and shortly before 6:00am it was announced. My district, and my girls' district were closed for the day.

I was a bit shocked. There wasn't much snow on the ground, and it was supposed to have started this morning. I quickly hopped in my car and drove to the gas station and got myself a day's worth of coffee (our coffee pot have been broken for awhile). Then, after breakfast, we needed to run into town (about 10 miles away) to go to the bank. The trip there was ok, but I knew that the storm was barrelling in on my heels, and sure enough, 45 minutes later the road home was nearly invisible. But we made it. I must have been nuts!

Then it was knitting time. So far, my olympic debut has been pretty pathetic. I botched up the first batch of dye, then bought some more, only for that to turn out too pale. So I bought more kool-aid and finally, today, I have yarn! It still isn't exactly the colors I had hoped for, but it is close enough! I started playing with stitch patterns, and would like to do a mosaic pattern, but I can't find any free online resources. Know any?

Because I'm at home alone with the girls, I am the "do it all" person. Which means I get to run the snowblower. The snowblower and I got off to a rocky start a few months ago when she backfired on me at 6:00 in the morning, shooting flames nearly 10 inches out of the engine. I was afraid of her today. I had to call DH and ask him how to start the stupid thing again, and I nearly cried as I slowly upped the choke and engine speed. After that, I forced her into submission and she did a fine job for me. An hour later the driveway was finally cleared out so that I could return the videos I had rented for the storm (they were due back today at 5:00pm.... my fourth time out in the car - I forgot to mention my quick trip to the store to buy toilet paper because we were out). The roads were awful, and I was just about the only fool out there. Well I found out why everyone was home. The only store in my village, the store that I needed to get to in order to return my videos without a late fee was CLOSED. Figures!

Well.... back to knitting. And I can watch the movies again!

1 Comments:

  • At 6:52 PM , Blogger Vicki Knitorious said...

    I had a snow day with the kids today, too! It wasn't too bad early on, but we knew it was coming (and for once, the weatherman was right!). Bundle up -- it's gonna get COLD!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home