Through the Back Loop

Adventures in knitting, fiber arts, and family.

Friday, July 29, 2005

A Tribute

We returned from our trip last night at 9:30pm, but the stories about this trip will have to wait. Today is a day of tribute for a fallen soldier.

John O. Tollefson died in the line of duty on Wednesday. While I only met him a few times in person, I feel that I knew him because of the stories that my sister-in-law has told me about him over the years. He was her nephew, and she held him in high regard. It turns out that she wasn’t the only one. You can read the article that appeared in John’s local newspaper yourself. He was truly a remarkable young man.

My sister-in-law (while I visited her this past weekend) talked about John’s reasons for joining the Army, and his life-long goals only days before those dreams would end. While she knew that his job was a dangerous one, she, like the rest of John’s family, prayed for his safe return home. Their homes are now filled with a heavy sadness, a sadness that I can only imagine. Even though I didn’t know John that well personally, I am also left with a truly heavy heart when I think about John and the other 1,985 soldiers (as of tonight) who have given their lives while in the line of duty.

I hope you will take a moment to be thankful for the sacrifices that have been made.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home