Through the Back Loop

Adventures in knitting, fiber arts, and family.

Friday, March 04, 2005

Step Aside, I am a Professional!

After three weeks, it's official. I'm hooked. I'm a spinning pro!

I wanted to post some pictures of my spinning, but I left my spinning at work yesterday and now I'm home with a sick daughter (the younger one) and I have nothing here to take pictures of. Gasp!

In three weeks I have spun over 1 1/2 pounds of roving. The first two skeins were ghastly, but at the spinning guild meeting one of the women told me that after a few washings it might be soft and nice. I sincerely doubt it, but I'm up for the challenge! This will most likely involve "before" and "after" photos.

The next 4 (count them..one, two three four!) skeins got better and better. I couldn't get the scotch tension to work on the Ashford Elizabeth, and swearing was involved as I plyed a few feet and then stopped to wrap it on the bobbin by hand. What a pain. I was determined that the wheel was to blame, until - my new spinning friends moved the whorl band to a different place. Hmmm. I thought I had sat down and mathematically calculated every possible combination. Obviously I missed this one because not only did it now ply wonderfully, but it also drew so much nicer when spinning a single.

Now I really like the Ashford wheel, but it is a bit too big and difficult to transport. I felt a bit funny at the guild meeting where everyone had a nice compact castle style spinning wheel and I marched in with the "mother of all wheels" bumping against doorjambs and stair railings. But still, they were impressed with my new spinning dedication.

Knitting? No, not doing that. Well, I hadn't until today. I figured that a "child" sick day entitled me to rent a good kid movie and work on the mitten. Shrek 2 with the DirecTV "all day ticket" is just the ticket! Plus popcorn. With butter. Oh, yeah - this child is totally unwell. She did cough a few times while she watched the movie, and I have decided that she must be really sick because she has stayed on the couch all day except to go to the bathroom or get something to drink. If she were well she would be playing in the other room and bugging me to build a fort or watch her new-fangled dance moves.

Tomorrow is the championship game for the older daughter. They won their first basketball tournament and tomorrow they play a tough team for first place in their second tournament. I'll have to take my Metamucil to calm my stomach. Basketball has become our life. When we're not at one of her games, we have watched boy's tournaments at her school and we have been watching college pre-March Madness. We're thinking about going to Hot Springs, Arkansas over Spring Break to watch Division II women's Elite Eight games. DH and the oldest daughter would go to the game while the younger daughter and I found some nice LYSs. And shopped. And found a great coffee shop. And ate lots of gooey sweets. Definitely the sweets! Maybe I can find some new roving? Hmmm.. that would be good. Anybody ever been there?
I'm totally open for suggestions!

1 Comments:

  • At 5:48 PM , Blogger Laura said...

    Man! Can you adopt me? Cause I was home sick yesterday and nobody rented a movie for me or made me popcorn. haha!! I really need to get into spinning, you know, because I need ONE MORE craft to take up a room in my house. :) Hope she's feeling better!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home