Through the Back Loop

Adventures in knitting, fiber arts, and family.

Saturday, August 13, 2005

Calgon... take me away!

It's time. Time for the girls to back to school. Most days I fear for their lives. I probably won't win "Mother of the Year" for the many plots I've developed to have them raised by others. Our home sounds like this:

"Mamma, tell her to stop!" The oldest will say.

The younger one will chirp, "I'm not doing anything."

"Yes she is. Tell her to stop."

"Nooooooo! I'll stop. I will."

"Yeah, right. You said that a half hour ago."

"I will this time. Really."

After about 10 minute of quiet, I hear the oldest again, "MAMMA! Can you please tell her to stop?"


I want to make it stop. Please let them go back to school. Luckily, the oldest is finally old enough to watch the younger one while we leave the country house for some peace and quiet, but when they act like this we are afraid of what we would come home to.

I've been frantically knitting. Two caps are done, and the Harry Potter scarf is half-way done. My knitting list was shortened when I heard the very sad news that my coworker lost her baby recently. It would have been her first pregnancy (her husband and her adopted a baby boy several years ago) after many years of fertility treatments. I was so sad to hear the news. The last time I had spoken to her (early July) she told me that the doctors were very worried that there was something wrong with the baby. She underwent many tests, but they hadn't diagnosed anything yet. I am heartbroken for her and her husband.

I'm still shook by the death of my sister-in-law's nephew. His funeral was extremely emotional. The media was everywhere, and I cannot believe the strength of his family to talk to them immediately after the service. I don't know that I would have been able to utter a word, but through their tear-stained cheeks, they asked others to pray for their son and all of the troops still in Iraq. Pray. I normally am not a praying person. I have quickly learned how. For John. It is a small thing to do, but in my opinion, it honors him.

Thank you Teresa W. for your comment about Sgt. Wood. I had heard that one person in the explosion had survived, but I hadn't heard any more. I'm amazed that we found each other through knitting. I have tried to e-mail you, but it bounces back. Please send me a note at in_stitches2 at yahoo dot com. I would love to hear an update, if you know anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home